Roy Hodgson says the handball rules that led to a penalty against Joel Ward in Crystal Palace’s 2-1 defeat by Everton is “ruining the game. It’s completely unacceptable. It’s destroying my enjoyment of the game of football,”
Are you confused about the new interpretation of the handball rules?
According to report a new interpretation of the handball law was introduced at the beginning of this season. Under these new rules, a player will be penalized for handball if:
- The hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the “body line” .
- The player clearly leans into the path of the ball.
- The ball travels some distance.
- The ball touches a hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.
- The player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.
- A deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder