Marriage Green Card vs K-1 Visa (Fiancé Visa)
1 min read

Marriage Green Card vs K-1 Visa (Fiancé Visa)

Spread the love

The main differences between a marriage green card and a K-1 Visa or fiancé visa are as follows:

K-1 Visa (Fiancé Visa)

  • The foreign national enters the United States before marriage and then files for a green card after marriage.
  • The U.S. citizen files a petition with USCIS, and after approval, the foreign fiancé receives an interview for the fiancé visa.
  • The fiancé has 90 days to marry the U.S. citizen after entering the U.S. and can then apply for a green card.

Marriage Green Card

  • The couple marries before beginning the immigration case, most of the process occurring outside the United States.
  • The U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident petitions with USCIS to establish a good-faith marriage.
  • After approval, the foreign spouse receives an interview for the marriage visa and can enter the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident.

Key Differences K-1 Visa and Green Card

Timing: The K-1 visa involves entry before marriage, while a marriage green card involves marrying before starting the immigration process.

Location: A Fiancé visa leads to marriage in the U.S., while a marriage green card often involves marrying outside the U.S.

Cost: Regarding government filing fees, a marriage visa is generally less expensive than a fiancé visa.

Continue reading: Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage Green Card

Leave a Reply